CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Into a house now


We finally moved into a house yesterday. It's really...something. This house is so old that it's a bigger adjustment moving into this house than it was to move to Japan. It was built in 1952. It has all wood floors, solid wood doors, really old elecrical boxes and external wiring on the walls, and there is a glossy shine from ceiling to floor. The walls and door frames have been painted so many times in nearly 60 years that they are rounded and gloppy. On our wood floors you can see marks and repairs where the radiators were. Marin has described this place as "creepy" and "spooky". I'm not sure yet how to make it feel like home, but we'll get there. Right now I'm just glad to have a whole kitchen again, and the smaller of two shipments of our stuff. The rest will come later next month. We can't wait.

Check back soon. I'll add more to this post later. I just wanted to get at least this much up for now. We're really busy right now.

6 comments:

Paul S. said...

Oh, wow! You're in! But it's spooky and creepy? Let's hope that as your stuff arrives and takes its place in your new place that it will begin to feel more like your new home. As always, thanks for the update. We love and miss you guys.

Paul S. said...

Uh Oh. Do you want to know what really spooky and creepy? I just realized it a few minutes ago about your "new" house. It was built the same year I was!!

Jodi said...

Congrats on the new place Emily and glad things are moving along for you guys. Sounds like Japan is a very interesting place to live and I hope its a great place to call home.

Jodi

Carrie said...

Wow, so three moves in 4 weeks. I guess it is good that you didn't have all of your stuff. I thought it would take me forever to catch up, but no problem. I guess you better start blogging again.

Terumi said...

Finally had a chance to see your cool blog! I wish I could be in japan too. Riley was enjoying the silly pictures of Marin. We miss you guys! How's your Japanese coming along?

Cathie said...

Oh boy! Good luck! It looks nice, but I'll take your word for it that it's .... something! Just in time for Halloween! I guess you don't do Halloween there?