CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, July 9, 2009

I think we landed in Paradise!

Camp Zama, Japan


Well, here we are! We're in Japan! We are doing very well and LOVING our adventure! Everyone is telling us too, that this is a great assignment---very kicked back and relaxed, and lots of amazing cultural and travel opportunities for the whole family---and it's evident in how happy and relaxed they are as they tell us. We are given tons of time to in process and acclimate to the new time zone at a very relaxed pace. Jeff wont even start working til August 1st, but we're finally getting paid again! Phew!

Japan looks very different from the US. I don't even know how to describe it well, but to say that everything here is very cramped and compact---cars, streets, walkways, buildings. Camp Zama has more of a US feel to it, not so cramped, but most everything here is Japanese made.
The vegetation is beautiful. We can see mountains. It's extremely humid here. Virginia's humidity is nothing compared to this. I love that it's low elevation. I struggled with the high elevation last week in Utah. I could hardly stay awake, but here I have lots of energy! Marin and I adjusted quickly and easily to the new time zone, but Jeff is still working on it.

Camp Zama is very small and everything that we need is within about 5 minute walking distance from Army Lodging---shopping and dining (the basics, nothing fancy), Army Community Service Center, medical and dental offices, schools, the library, the park. It's a good thing because we don't have a car. We'll get a nice cheap one after we take the class for driving in Japan next Tuesday. There's a '98 Beamer for sale for $5000, but most are for maybe $2000 or even much less.

Last night we had Mongolian BBQ. It was so good!!! The set up was buffet style where we each filled a large bowl with all the raw veggies and raw meat that we wanted stir fried together and then they took it back to the kitchen to stir fry it for us. Even Marin's pizza was a self made pizza that they took back to bake.

Everyone here tells us that this is a great assignment and to kick back and relax! The work load and work schedules here are very light, even for the Lt. Colonel (high ranking and usually a very busy position). He met with us yesterday for a while to welcome us and chat for a while. That's not the case anywhere else in the military. Anywhere else it would be a quick, impersonal 5 minute "hi, welcome, we'll see you at work".


This morning we stopped by the MWR facility (Moral Welfare and Recreation). That's where we can check out sports and camping equipment and sign up for fun trips to do all kinds of fun things---group hikes, trips around Tokyo and other areas for festivals, Disneyland, clam digging, berry picking, you name it! This is staring to feel like a 3 year CRUISE!
We are SOOOOO excited to be here!


Can any of you blog junkies help me change this text back to only text and not a link? I don't know how it happened and I can't undo it.

After the 11 hour flight, with our 11 bags! Marin wouldn't look.


Our very first sight of Japan.... HOW THE HECK DO YOU FLUSH THE TOILET?????

Well, uh, I'm not sure this is much better...no thanks...

Yen!

The bus from the airport stopped next to a sweet car show for a little 10 minute break. I couldn't resist taking some pictures! Too bad it was getting dark out.


Check out the mail boxes here! Somebody like Star Wars.

5 comments:

Marrian said...

That's awesome! I'm so glad you like it. Your post makes me want to go there!
The toilet thing...I LOVE European toilets. They are set up similar to the one you showed.

The Ravsten's said...

So excited for you and your new adventure. You are going to love it. It sounds like you already do. Best wishes!

Thebatemans said...

I am so exciited and glod that you made it safe. I wish I were there with you. McCord is missing Marin like crazy. I love and miss you guys so much. It's so different without you here. keep in touch often, I love you!

Carrie said...

I am so happy to hear that things are going well. I think Japan just hit my must visit list for sometime in the next three years! It sounds awesome! I am glad that it seems to be turning into an even better assignment than anticipated. You rock!

Mike, Haley, and Emma said...

How exciting!!! It seems like you are going to have such a blast!